Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Bird Seed Cookies

Me and the kids had a great time welcoming spring into yard. The other day I saw a robin so I told the kids it was spring. Princess Spud immediately wanted to the bird seed out. So instead of a just filling the homemade bird feeder like a normal mom, I had to take the crafty route so we made bird seed cookies.

 
These are so easy and fun. I found the recipe in the book called “Crazy Kid Concoctions”.

Bird Seed Cookies
3 eggs
1 ½ cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
**I added abt 2 T of water.

Mix all of your ingredients. Roll out and cut out shapes. (We only did circles, because our cookie cutters are very small). Using a straw punch hole for a ribbon to hang. Coat with Bird Seed.
**Side note: I was making dinner while making these cookies, I was trying to COOK dinner – not burn dinner. So Princess Spud mixed the cookies, then they had to wait for me to get dinner to a spot that I could roll out the dough. By the time I got to it the dough was kind of dry. So after we cut out the cookies we dipped them in eggs and milk to make the bird seed stick better.

 

Bake for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees.
Let them cool completely before hanging.

My husband was so excited when he walked in the door from work and was told we made cookies. Sadly he soon discovered they weren’t for him. Mr. John Deere informed him, “dad those cookies are for the birds, if you eat them you will get sick and mom will be mad”. J Also, my husband pointed out that the birds are going to have a hard time eating the seeds. In order for them to stay on the cookie they had to be pushed into the dough a little bit. So this isn’t a free buffet for the birds, they might have to work a little bit for their food. But on a good note we have seen two little birds – I think they were finches – eating away at one of the cookies.
Anyway it was a fun little bonding moment for us and the kids have to check their cookies a couple of times a day. Give it a try – just don’t do it at the same time you are trying to cook dinner. J

No comments:

Post a Comment